4.04.2010

Baba takes care of you

Brooklyn had been calling, and I decided to answer on a recent drizzly Sunday. I was lured in by Baba—a food shop slash restaurant with a cozy, sweet, and stylish atmosphere. They specialize in carefully chosen charcuterie and cheeses, like La Quercia’s Speck Americano from Iowa, a delicately smoked pork with an amazing soft texture, and my favorite, the Fra’ Mani Mortadella, a hand-made, preservative-free guilty pleasure. This set the stage for Chef Jose Edgardo Soto’s dishes. We started with a taste of his Spanish tortilla, which was served with a Moroccan Charmoula on the side (photo above). Upon tasting, I thought the sauce would make a fantastic accompaniment to a host of other dishes, say, atop a filet of fish, or with pasta. Happily, Jose was willing to share his recipe. I can’t wait to try it out on my guests. See more photos of our day here.
Charmoula
2 bunches cilantro
1 bunch parsley
1 small piece of fresh ginger, chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 TB coriander powder
1 TB cumin powder
1 TB paprika
The zest of one lemon
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Pulse in a food processor, or place in a blender on medium speed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Jose recommends serving with: mussels, pork, eggs, lamb, or as he does at Baba, with a Spanish tortilla.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sad about Baba's closing - but I did run into Jose on the street a few nights ago and learned that he's now exec chef at Le Barricou on Grand St. I'm glad to know he's staying in the neighborhood, and I'm sure this will only improve Barricou's food.

    ReplyDelete